The 2019 Ford Explorer is a 3-row, 7-passenger midsize SUV that is aging well. The 2019 body style has been in production since 2011, although Ford continues lớn make essential upgrades lớn the Explorer’s styling, performance, and technology. Competing with the likes of the Toyota Highlander, Chevrolet Traverse, and Honda Pilot, lớn name a few, the Explorer has its work cut out. Ford doesn’t offer a hybrid version lớn compete with the Highlander Hybrid, but it does have some pretty potent engine options that blow away just about every midsize 3-row SUV in its price range.
The front-wheel-drive (FWD) Explorer comes in five trims, all with the option of all-wheel drive (AWD). Ford offers three engine choices: a 290-horsepower 3.5-liter V6 (base, XLT), a 280-hp 2.3-liter turbo EcoBoost I4 (base, XLT, and Limited), and a 365-hp twin-turbocharged EcoBoost 3.5-liter V6 (Sport and Platinum).
- 1 2019 Ford Explorer base (Original starting price when new: $32,365)
- 2 2019 Ford Explorer XLT (Original starting price when new: $34,400)
- 3 2019 Ford Explorer Limited (Original starting price when new: $42,765)
- 4 2019 Ford Explorer Sport (Original starting price when new: $46,625)
- 5 2019 Ford Explorer Platinum (Original starting price when new: $54,165)
2019 Ford Explorer base (Original starting price when new: $32,365)
See today’s prices on 2019 Ford Explorer models for sale near you
The 2019 Explorer is the first of five trims. It comes standard with a 3.5-liter V6 engine, FWD, and a 6-speed automatic. AWD adds $2,150 lớn the price, with the EcoBoost 2.0-liter turbocharged engine costing about another grand.
As the base model, the Explorer doesn’t offer many high-tech or luxury features, but it does cover most of the bases families look for in a 3-row SUV. A quick look at the exterior reveals automatic LED low-beam headlights, LED taillights, a capless fuel filler, rear privacy glass, 18-inch 5-spoke alloy wheels, variable front wipers, and a rear wiper/washer. Also standard are heated power side mirrors with integrated blind-spot mirrors, remote keyless entry with MyKey configurable driver settings, and complete protection with front, front side-impact, front passenger knee, and side-curtain airbags.
The Explorer’s 3-row seating configuration consists of two front buckets, a 60/40 split-folding 2nd-row with fore/aft adjustable 40 section, and a 50/50 split fold-flat 3rd-row, all in cloth upholstery. The base model includes an 8-way power driver’s seat with manual lumbar, a 4.2-inch driver-information display, manual air condition with auxiliary rear controls, and a tilt/telescoping steering wheel with audio, Bluetooth, and cruise controls.
The Explorer comes equipped with 6-speaker and the SYNC voice-recognition infotainment system that includes a 4.2-inch LCD, 911 Assist, and AppLink. Charging outlets include one front USB and four 12-volt sockets (two up front, one in the 2nd-row, and one in the cargo bay).
Additional driver-assist technology is limited lớn a rear backup camera, trailer sway control, and hill start assist.
Options for the base Explorer are few but include Class II and Class III Trailer Tow Packages, SiriusXM satellite radio, and inflatable rear seatbelts. Opting for all-wheel drive brings hill descent control and Ford’s Terrain Management System with Normal, Mud/Rut, Sand, and Snow/Gravel/Grass settings.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The base Explorer appeals lớn families on tight budgets, fleet buyers, and those who aren’t interested in overly-complicated driver safety and infotainment technology.
2019 Ford Explorer XLT (Original starting price when new: $34,400)
See today’s prices on 2019 Ford Explorer XLT models for sale near you
The XLT is Ford’s bread and butter trim. It’s the most popular model in the Explorer lineup and provides buyers with the most customization options.
Building off the base model’s standard and available equipment (including engines and drivetrains), the XLT adds a 10-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar support, a 6-way power passenger seat with manual lumbar support, a proximity key fob with keyless access, and push-button start, and leather-wrapped steering wheel.
Also in the mix is rear parking sensors, upgraded front brakes, and Ford’s SecuriCode invisible keypad entry system.
Adding Equipment Group 201A brings the SYNC3 infotainment system with an 8-inch touch screen, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, and FordPass Connect 4G Wi-Fi modem. The XLT’s instrument cluster gains two 4.2-inch driver-configurable color displays, while the cabin picks up an additional 2nd-row USB smart charging port. Other notable features include an upgraded seven-speaker audio system, LED fog lights, and remote start.
Other features in the 201A package are dual-zone automatic climate control, an 8-way power passenger seat with power lumbar support, a power liftgate, a blind-spot monitor, and rear cross-traffic alert.
Moving up lớn Equipment Group 202A tacks on front parking sensors, a heated steering wheel, ActiveX synthetic leather upholstery, heated front seats, and a voice-activated touch-screen navigation system.
Within the 201A and 202A groups, there are even more option packages. Buyers can fit the XLT 201A with inflatable rear seatbelts, a twin-panel moonroof, navigation, heated front seats, a heated steering wheel, and upgraded 18- and 20-inch wheels.
Ford’s Safe and Smart Package adds forward collision warning with automatic emergency braking, adaptive cruise control, automatic high-beam headlights, lane departure warning, lane-keeping assist, and rain-sensing wipers.
The 202A package opens the door lớn the XLT Sport Appearance Package that adds 20-inch 10-spoke wheels, dark gray exterior enhancements, ebony black leather seats with perforated Miko inserts (vinyl for the 3rd-row), and Fire Orange contrasting stitching.
The XLT Desert Copper Package is similar lớn the Sport Appearance Package, with polished 20-inch wheels, chrome mirror caps, plus copper-colored seat inserts and stitching.
Second-row bucket seats are also available but not with the Desert Copper Package.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The XLT holds broad appeal. It can be a simple step up from the base Explorer or outfitted with several bonus features and driver-assist systems but still stay clear of the Limited and Platinum price tags.
2019 Ford Explorer XLT includes:
- 10-way power driver’s seat – Allows multiple positions with adjustable power lumbar for greater back support.
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto – Allows a compatible điện thoại thông minh lớn sync with the car’s infotainment system, granting access lớn apps, navigation, music, and messages.
- SecuriCode keypad – Hidden in the Explorer’s upper door frame, this system allows access via a 6-digit pin code.
- Available advanced driver assists – Help keep everyone safe, with features that can stop the vehicle before a collision occurs, automatically dim the high beam headlights, and maintain a set distance from traffic when using the cruise control.
2019 Ford Explorer Limited (Original starting price when new: $42,765)
See today’s prices on 2019 Ford Explorer Limited models for sale near you
The Limited trim comes standard with the 2.3-liter EcoBoost engine, which buyers can substitute with the XLT’s standard 3.5-liter V6.
The Limited builds off the XLT 202A trim’s standard features, then add a hands-free foot-activated power liftgate, 20-inch alloy wheels, power-folding heated side mirrors with approach lamps, and remote control 1st-row power windows (and moonroof when equipped.)
Interior upgrades include heated and ventilated front seats, a 10-way power passenger seat, perforated leather upholstery (1st and 2nd-row only), heated 2nd-row seats with a 115-volt outlet, dual smart-charging ports, plus a power-folding 3rd-row seat.
Additional equipment in the Limited’s standard roster includes a power tilt/telescoping heated steering wheel, front 180-degree split-view camera with washer, driver’s memory (covers the driver’s seat, steering wheel, and mirrors), and a 12-speaker 390-watt Sony audio system.
Optional on the Limited is a twin-panel power moonroof and the Safe and Smart Package.
Unique lớn the Limited is the Limited Luxury Package that adds 20-inch machined alloy wheels, multicontour front seats with massage, and Nirvana leather upholstery with Micro perforation.
Standalone features include Active Park Assist that can automatically parallel or perpendicular park and back into a traditional perpendicular spot.
Available 2nd-row power-folding heated bucket seats include a center console divider.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The Limited speaks lớn people who want the latest luxury and safety systems, as well as a premium sound system and more convenience features.
2019 Ford Explorer Limited includes:
- Hands-free foot-activated liftgate – Opens via a button on the fob or by kicking just below the rear bumper.
- Heated and ventilated front seats – Keep occupants không lấy phí of sweat in the sweltering summer and toasty warm on chilly winter days.
- Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel – Adjusts with a button and is part of the memory system, so you’ll have the wheel angle exactly where you last left it.
- Sony audio – With a 390-watt amp and powered subwoofer, this 12-speaker audio system will bring down the house and raise the roof.
2019 Ford Explorer Sport (Original starting price when new: $46,625)
See today’s prices on 2019 Ford Explorer Sport models for sale near you
If you’re looking for a family hauler as fun lớn drive as a V8 Mustang, the Explorer Sport is the trim for you.
The fun starts under the hood, where a 365-horsepower 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 joins an advanced AWD system.
The Sport includes select features from the Limited trim, then adds perforated leather heated-power front seats, a sport-tuned suspension, chrome exhaust tips, exterior blackout treatment, and 20-inch machined aluminum wheels. Also standard is navigation, Sony audio, and a power-folding rear seat.
Opting for the 401A Group adds auto-folding power heated side mirrors, an auto-dimming driver’s side mirror, a power tilt/telescoping steering wheel, driver’s memory, ventilated front seats, front 180-degree camera, and heated 2nd-row seats. Also in the mix are inflatable rear seat belts, ambient lighting, a 110-volt outlet, and a 500-watt Sony audio system.
Standalone options include power-assisted heated 2nd-row bucket seats, a twin-panel moonroof, 20-inch Dark Tarnish wheels, and the Safe and Smart Package.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The Sport has a youthful side not commonly found in a midsize SUV. Its taut suspension handles curves surprisingly well, awarding the Sport the “coolest trim in the lineup” ribbon.
2019 Ford Explorer Sport includes:
- Sport-tuned suspension – Sits lower lớn the ground and has stiffer springs and shocks for improved cornering.
- 500-watt Sony Audio – Even more extensive and louder than the Limited’s Sony system, this upgrading Sony audio system befits the Sport’s troublemaker image.
- 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine – With 365 hp and 350 lb-ft of torque, this engine is sure lớn put a smile on even the most stubborn driver’s face.
- Standard AWD – Includes the Terrain Management system for negotiating various surface conditions
2019 Ford Explorer Platinum (Original starting price when new: $54,165)
See today’s prices on 2019 Ford Explorer Platinum models for sale near you
The Platinum trim is the top-line Explorer. The Platinum comes loaded with Limited and Sport’s best features, including multicontour massaging heated and ventilated front seats, a 500-watt Sony audio system, a twin-panel moonroof, the Ford Safe, and Smart Package, and Active Parking Assist.
Like the Sport, the Platinum comes standard with a 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 and AWD.
Unique lớn the Platinum is a fully digital instrument cluster, power-adjustable pedals, and a leather-wrapped treatment for the instrument panel, door armrest, and center console lid.
The only options for the Platinum are the 2nd-row heated bucket seats and console and a rear-seat entertainment system (also available on other trims).
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The Platinum is for those who only settle for the best. It offers more features than the Limited, including options unique lớn the trim.
2019 Ford Explorer Platinum includes:
- Power-adjustable pedals – Another clever way lớn give drivers of all sizes a way lớn find the perfect seating position.
- Multicontour seats – Include heating and cooling and massage.
- Digital instrument cluster – This configurable cluster replaces traditional analog instruments with digital reproductions. It also serves as the display for various vehicle and driver information systems.
- 5,000-pound tow rating – With the 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine and Class III Trailer Tow Package, the Explorer Platinum has no trouble towing heavy trailers.