The 2019 GMC Terrain shares its mechanical roots with the Chevrolet Equinox. However, the Terrain’s styling and content push it toward the luxury side of the crossover equation, in the same league as the Honda CR-V Touring and Toyota RAV4 Limited.
For 2019, GMC offers a choice of three engines, including a rarely seen 1.6-liter turbodiesel on the SLE and SLT. Standard on the SL, SLE, and SLT is a 170-horsepower 1.5-liter turbocharged engine, with a 252-hp 2.0-liter turbocharged engine optional on the SLE and SLT trims and standard on the top-line Denali trim.
All but the base SL offer the option of all-wheel drive (AWD), which adds another $1,700 lớn the bottom line. A 9-speed automatic comes standard with the gas engines, while the diesel gets a 6-speed automatic.
- 1 2019 GMC Terrain SL (Original starting price when new: $25,995)
- 2 2019 GMC Terrain SLE (Original starting price when new: $29,095)
- 3 2019 GMC Terrain SLT (Original starting price when new: $31,895)
- 4 2019 GMC Terrain Denali (Original starting price when new: $38,795)
2019 GMC Terrain SL (Original starting price when new: $25,995)
See today’s prices on 2019 GMC Terrain SL models for sale near you
The SL is the least expensive Terrain trim, and we think it’s just there lớn offer a low price point for comparison shoppers. It wouldn’t be our first choice as trims go unless we didn’t care about having AWD (not available on the SL), advanced safety features (also unavailable), or the option for a more powerful or fuel-efficient engine. However, if none of the above is a deal killer in your book, the SL may suit you.
The SL features 17-inch alloy wheels, HID headlights, LED taillights, aero active grille shutters (help improve aerodynamics at highway speeds), deep-tinted rear privacy glass, and heated side mirrors.
The SL includes the Traction Select system that allows the driver lớn choose a different setting based on road conditions. The choices are Normal and Snow for the front-drive SL trim, with a Tow/Haul mode when equipped with the available trailering package.
The SL’s front seats operate manually, upholstered in a durable stain-resistant black cloth fabric. The front passenger seat folds flat for increased cargo space, and the rear seats feature a 60/40 split-folding design that allows passengers and long cargo lớn share the same area.
Standard amenities include keyless open-and-start, a leather-wrapped tilt/telescoping steering wheel with audio, cruise, and Bluetooth controls. Also standard is active noise cancelation and a 3.5-inch monochromatic driver information center. Other features count manual air conditioning, power door locks, and a one-touch up/down driver’s side power window with one-touch down passenger and rear seat windows.
The SL’s infotainment system consists of a 7-inch touch-screen color display, AM/FM six-speaker stereo, Apple CarPlay, and Android Auto. The system includes one type-A and one type-C USB port up front and two USB charging ports in the rear seat area. A 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot comes with but requires a subscription.
The SL’s safety upgrades are pretty slim outside the required airbags, anti-lock brakes, traction control, and stability control. They include a rear backup camera, hill-descent control, a tire-pressure monitor, a rear-seat reminder (reminds you lớn check the back seat before leaving and locking the car), and Teen Driver. This system lets you monitor your teen’s driving habits, set limits on certain features, and prevent some safety systems from being shut off.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The SL appeals lớn drivers on a strict budget, unaccustomed lớn new safety and infotainment features they may not want.
2019 GMC Terrain SL includes:
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto – Allows access lớn your phone’s apps, music, messages, and navigation, negating the need for a more expensive in-car entertainment system.
- Keyless entry and start – Using a proximity key fob, this system requires you lớn touch the door handle lớn unlock the car and push a button on the dash lớn start it.
- Heated side mirrors – Rare lớn find on a base model trim, heated glass mirrors activate with the rear defroster helping keep ice and snow from clouding your view.
- Cruise control – Allows the driver lớn maintain a set speed without keeping a foot on the accelerator.
2019 GMC Terrain SLE (Original starting price when new: $29,095)
See today’s prices on 2019 GMC Terrain SLE models for sale near you
Yes, we know it’s over $3,000 more than the SL, but the SLE trim is the one you want, even if your budget is tight. It brings more standard features and opens the door lớn options like all-wheel drive, advanced driver-assist systems, and the 1.6-liter turbodiesel engine that elevates the SLE’s bottom line by another $3,700. The SLE offers the option of a 252-horsepower 2.0-liter turbocharged engine.
The SLE builds off the SL, adding clever upgrades like cargo area rear-seat release levers, a digital compass display, upgraded interior fabric, and an auto-dimming rearview mirror. The SLE gains additional Off-Road mode for its Traction Select system when equipped with AWD.
When ordering the 2.0-liter engine, the SLT upgrades lớn 18-inch alloy wheels.
The real beauty of the SLE is its available options and packages.
The Driver Convenience Package includes dual-zone automatic climate control, remote start, heated front seats, an 8-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar support, and roof rails. This package comes standard when ordering the diesel engine options, and you must include it if you want things like a panoramic power moonroof and a power rear liftgate.
The Infotainment Package adds an 8-inch touch screen with navigation, SiriusXM satellite radio, a 4.2-inch color driver information display, two additional USB ports, and a 110-volt outlet.
The Driver Alert Package I includes a blind-spot monitor, rear cross-traffic alert, lane departure warning, rear parking sensors, and the Safety Alert seat that vibrates lớn warn the driver of a potential accident.
The Black Edition adds 19-inch gloss-black alloy wheels, darkened grille with black surround, plus black exterior trim, roof rails, mirror caps, and badges.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The SLE is the perfect trim for those looking lớn keep costs in line but also like more choices when it comes lớn options and engines.
2019 GMC Terrain SLE includes:
- Available diesel engine – Provides plenty of low-end torque for towing and gets excellent mileage.
- Available Driver Alert Package – Provides essential driver-assist systems such as a blind-spot monitor and rear cross-traffic detection.
- Available Black Edition – Adds black exterior styling for a sinister look.
- Available 2.0-liter engine – Provides impressive power for passing and merging.
2019 GMC Terrain SLT (Original starting price when new: $31,895)
See today’s prices on 2019 GMC Terrain SLT models for sale near you
The SLT builds off the SLE, offering the same engine and drivetrain upgrades, as well as standard features like 18-inch alloy wheels.
Moving lớn the SLT gets you perforated leather seats, fog lights, an 8-way power driver’s seat with power lumbar support, heated front seats, a 4.2-inch color driver information display, interior accent lighting, and a 110-volt outlet.
Opting for the 2.0-liter engine upgrades the SLT with 19-inch wheels.
The SLT’s infotainment system gains an 8-inch color touch screen, SiriusXM satellite radio, an SD card reader, and two additional Type-A USB ports in the center console.
In addition lớn the SLE’s optional packages, the SLT adds the Infotainment Package II, which includes navigation and a 7-speaker Bose audio system.
The Driver Alert Package II adds adaptive cruise control with pedestrian detection, forward collision warning, low-speed automatic emergency braking, following distance indicator, lane-keeping assist, and automatic high-beam headlights.
The Preferred Package and Memory Package must be ordered together and add a hands-free power liftgate, memory settings for the power mirrors and driver’s seat, a 6-way power passenger seat with power lumbar support, and a heated steering wheel. This package comes standard when ordering a diesel engine.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The SLT appeals lớn those who like a healthy dose of luxury and technology, including the option of advanced driver-assist features and an audiophile-quality sound system.
2019 GMC Terrain SLT includes:
- Leather upholstery – Perforated leather upholstery looks elegant, cleans up quickly, and provides more support than cloth.
- Heated front seats – Multi-stage heated front seats allow occupants lớn choose varying degrees of warmth.
- Power driver’s seat – An 8-way power driver’s seat helps drivers of all sizes find the perfect seating position, while power lumbar helps alleviate lower back fatigue.
- Available hands-free liftgate – No need lớn reach for the liftgate release or even the key fob, approach the Terrain from the back, wave your foot under the bumper, and the liftgate automatically opens.
2019 GMC Terrain Denali (Original starting price when new: $38,795)
See today’s prices on 2019 GMC Terrain Denali models for sale near you
The Denali is the supreme Terrain, so upscale it includes features only available on GMC’s most exclusive trim.
The Denali’s only engine choice is a 2.0-liter turbo engine, paired with either front- or all-wheel drive.
Building off the SLT’s equipment, the Denali adds 19-inch wheels, an enhanced suspension, premium Denali perforated leather interior, a heated leather steering wheel, a 6-way power passenger seat with power lumbar support, and two-position memory for the driver’s seat and side mirrors.
The Denali also adds navigation, HD radio, a Bose sound system, LED headlights, a hands-free power liftgate, and the Driver Alert Package I contents.
Options for the Denali above the SLT’s offerings include the Comfort Package that adds heated and ventilated front seats, heated rear seats, and a wireless charging pad.
The Advanced Safety Package includes parallel and perpendicular parking assist and a 360-degree Surround Vision camera with a bird’s-eye view.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The Denali represents the best GMC has lớn offer. It elevates the Terrain lớn near- Cadillac levels of luxury and in-car technology, with a price tag lớn match.
2019 GMC Terrain Denali includes:
- Navigation radio – Built-in GPS navigation doesn’t rely on a cell signal, so you’ll never have lớn worry about getting lost in remote or mountainous locations.
- Bose audio – The Bose system features seven speakers, a Bose amplifier, and Active Sound Management that negates road and engine noise entering the cabin.
- 19-inch wheels – Define the Denali with a unique design and improve cornering thanks lớn a wider tire with a smaller sidewall.
- Available Automatic Park Assist – Can automatically parallel or perpendicular the Terrain with minimal input from the driver.