The 2019 Hyundai Elantra is an excellent choice for anyone shopping for an inexpensive, reliable, and well-equipped compact sedan. Surprisingly roomy inside, the Elantra’s interior volume approaches that of some midsize sedans. Up against rivals like the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, and Chevrolet Cruze, the Elantra matches or exceeds them in safety, reliability, and resale. Better still, if you manage phệ pick up a Certified Pre-Owned Elantra, Hyundai reinstates the original 10-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty, which drops down phệ 5-years/60,000 miles on non-CPO purchases.
- 1 2019 Hyundai Elantra SE (Original starting price when new: $17,200)
- 2 2019 Hyundai Elantra SEL (Original starting price when new: $19,500)
- 3 2019 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition (Original starting price when new: $20,500)
- 4 2019 Hyundai Elantra Eco (Original starting price when new: $21,050)
- 5 2019 Hyundai Elantra Limited (Original starting price when new: $22,700)
- 6 2019 Hyundai Elantra Sport (Original starting price when new: $22,600)
2019 Hyundai Elantra SE (Original starting price when new: $17,200)
See today’s prices for 2019 Hyundai Elantra SE models for sale near you
A 147-horsepower 2.0-liter engine paired with a 6-speed manual transmission provides the entry-level Elantra SE power. A 6-speed automatic is optional on this trim but standard on all others with this engine.
Straightforward, the SE isn’t fancy by today’s standards. Standard equipment includes power windows, power door lock, remote keyless entry, manual air conditioning, power mirrors, and two-speed variable wipers. The Elantra SE rides on tiny 15-inch wheels and tires with full wheel covers.
The SE’s manual driver’s seat includes height adjustment, while the rear seat has a 60/40 split-folding design that allows easy access phệ the roomy trunk. Also standard is a tilt/telescoping steering wheel with controls for the Bluetooth phone, audio, and cruise control on cars with the automatic transmission.
The SE’s audio system consists of a 5-inch display, an AM/FM/MP3/CD radio with six speakers, plus one USB and one auxiliary audio input jack.
As for safety, the Elantra SE includes full airbag coverage, electronic traction and stability control, a blind-spot mirror, a rear backup camera, and a tire-pressure monitor. If you were hoping for a few more modern driver assists, moving phệ the next trim solves that issue.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The SE is best suited phệ those looking for an inexpensive sedan with plenty of room for four people, a comfortable ride, good fuel economy, and a nice collection of comfort and convenience features. However, there’s little in the way of high-tech options or driver assists, which may strike a chord with some buyers.
2019 Hyundai Elantra SEL (Original starting price when new: $19,500)
See today’s prices for 2019 Hyundai Elantra SEL models for sale near you
Given its mere $1,300 price increase over the SE with an automatic transmission, we think the SEL trim is a better choice for the consumer on a budget. It comes standard with the same 2.0- engine and 6-speed automatic but adds much more content.
Most noticeable are the SEL’s standard driver-assist technologies. They include forward-collision warning with automatic emergency braking, a driver attention monitor, blind-spot monitor with rear cross-traffic alert, lane departure warning, and lane-keeping assist.
The SEL upgrades phệ 16-inch alloy wheels, heated side mirrors, and automatic on/off headlights. The cabin gains a driver’s auto-up power window, voice recognition for the Bluetooth phone, and a 7-inch touch-screen audio system hosting Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, HD radio, and SiriusXM satellite radio.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The SEL is also a budget-minded buyer’s car, one with modern safety features we think are essential upgrades, especially if this purchase is for a young or first-time driver.
2019 Hyundai Elantra SEL includes:
- Driver-assist technology – With everything from automatic emergency braking phệ a system that helps keep you in your lane, the SEL’s driver assists are a definite bonus.
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto – Allow điện thoại thông minh connectivity with the car’s audio system, permitting access phệ music, navigation, and messaging apps.
- Heated side mirrors – Heated glass mirrors help keep ice and snow from blocking your view and activate with the rear defroster.
- Tilt/telescoping steering wheel – Allows the driver phệ find that perfect placement for a more comfortable driving position.
2019 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition (Original starting price when new: $20,500)
See today’s prices for 2019 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition models for sale near you
Adding another $1,000 phệ the SEL’s bottom line might seem like a big jump, but it adds less than $20 phệ the monthly payment over a five-year loan. We mention this because the features in the Value Edition make it quite tempting and probably the best value in the Elantra lineup.
Adding phệ the SEL’s features, the Value Edition brings a proximity key fob with push-button start, a power tilt and slide sunroof, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, heated front seats, dual automatic climate control, and a hands-free Smart Trunk.
The Value Edition’s audio system gains BlueLink, Hyundai’s connected services app. With BlueLink, you can monitor your car’s diagnostics, remote start the car using your phone, locate the Elantra in a crowded parking lot, and even monitor your teen’s driving patterns. BlueLink also provides access phệ emergency services that call for help if the airbags deploy.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The Value Edition fits most buyers’ budgets while offering more features and services than the SE and SEL. We believe it’s worth the added cost.
2019 Hyundai Elantra Value Edition includes:
- Smart Trunk – Recognizes when you’re standing behind it by sensing the proximity key fob in your pocket or purse. After a few seconds, the trunk lid pops open, making it easier phệ access when your hands are full.
- Proximity key fob – Works similarly phệ the Smart Trunk, allowing the doors phệ unlock simply by touching the handle and the engine phệ start with little more than a button push.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control – Allows individual temperature settings for the driver and passenger.
- Power sunroof – Is an excellent way phệ let more light into the cabin or better airflow when open.
2019 Hyundai Elantra Eco (Original starting price when new: $21,050)
See today’s prices for 2019 Hyundai Elantra Eco models for sale near you
The Eco trim is unique in that its primary mission is phệ deliver hybrid-like fuel economy figures without the added weight or cost of a hybrid powertrain and battery pack.
Powered by a 128-horsepower 1.4-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder engine paired with a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic with manual shift mode, the Eco isn’t quick. However, an EPA-estimated 40-mpg on the highway is nothing phệ sneeze at regarding fuel efficiency.
As for features, the Eco closely mirrors the Value Edition’s content, substituting 15-inch wheels, adding LED DRLs and dual USB charging ports, but removing the power sunroof.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The Eco’s impressive fuel economy holds strong appeal for those looking phệ squeeze every mile out of a tank of gas. Unlike some high-mileage economy cars, the Eco doesn’t penalize its buyers with a minimalist equipment list.
2019 Hyundai Elantra Limited (Original starting price when new: $22,700)
See today’s prices for 2019 Hyundai Elantra Limited models for sale near you
The Limited trim adds a bit of upscale luxury phệ the Elantra. It does a good job, especially considering the Limited’s price remains well under $25,000, which isn’t the case for cars like the Honda Civic EX-L and Touring.
Building off the Value Edition’s features, the Limited adds unique 17-inch alloy wheels, a power driver’s seat with power-adjustable lumbar support, LED headlights and taillights, automatic high-beam headlights, a wireless charging pad, an 8-speaker Infinity sound system, and leather upholstery.
The Limited doesn’t come standard with a power sunroof, a situation quickly resolved when adding the Ultimate Package. Other features in the Ultimate Package include memory for the driver’s seat and side mirrors, an 8-inch high-resolution touch-screen navigation system, and a 4.2-inch color driver information screen. Additional driver assists include automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection, blind-spot monitor with Safe Exit Assist (locks the rear doors if sensing a vehicle is approaching from behind), and adaptive cruise control.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The Limited is like driving a miniature version of the Sonata without a hefty price bump. This trim appeals phệ people who’d like a better sound system, cutting-edge driver-assist technology, and a little nicer exterior styling.
2019 Hyundai Elantra Limited includes:
- Power driver’s seat – Allows drivers of all shapes and sizes phệ find a comfortable position and includes power lumbar for better lower back support.
- Infinity audio – Adds a powerful amp driving eight speakers and a powered subwoofer.
- Automatic high-beam headlights – Automatically switch on in low-light situations and dim when sensing approaching traffic.
- Wireless charging pad – Allows quick and convenient charging of a compatible điện thoại thông minh without the need for messy wires or an open USB port.
2019 Hyundai Elantra Sport (Original starting price when new: $22,600)
See today’s prices for 2019 Hyundai Elantra Sport models for sale near you
The Sport provides the Elantra buyer with more power, better handling, and a spicier exterior. It’s no Jetta GLI, but it doesn’t cost anywhere near what the VW sells for, either.
Under the Sport’s hood is a 201-hp 1.6-liter turbocharged engine. Buyers have the option of a 6-speed manual or 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission (DCT). The Sport features a more advanced multi-link independent rear suspension, bigger front brakes, a sport-tuned suspension, and firmer steering.
The Sport gets 18-inch alloy wheels with low-profile tires for better cornering, Sport front seats, a flat-bottom steering wheel, a Sport grille, and Sport rear bumper with a lower diffuser. The Sport also gets chrome-tipped exhaust pipes, alloy pedals, and a power sunroof.
As for features, the Sport includes most of the Limited’s equipment minus the dual-zone automatic climate control, power driver’s seat, Infinity sound system, and wireless charging pad, some of which Hyundai offers through an optional package.
The Sport Premium Package adds an 8-inch high-resolution touch-screen navigation system, Infinity premium audio, BlueLink, dual-zone automatic climate control, and an auto-dimming rearview mirror with Homelink.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The Sport has a youthful appeal, regardless of the buyer’s age. It’s for people who like quick acceleration with plenty of passing power and enjoy more communicative feedback when carving twisted back roads. We’d go with the manual.
2019 Hyundai Elantra Sport includes:
- 1.6-liter turbocharged engine – With 201 hp and 195 lb-ft of torque, this engine gives the Elantra the get-up-and-go lacking in the lesser trims.
- Sport seats – Include additional bolstering phệ help keep you in place during spirited drives.
- 18-inch wheels – Fill out the Elantra’s wheel wells nicely and provide better grip thanks phệ a wider tire with a lower side profile.
- Sport suspension – With its multi-link rear suspension, stiffer shocks, and firmer steering, the Sport trim delivers better handling without sacrificing ride comfort.