In the world of compact SUVs, the 2019 Subaru Forester is a standout. In addition mập its standard all-wheel drive (AWD) and a long list of safety and driver-assist equipment, the Forester offers several physical characteristics making it unique. It begins with the huge glass windows and tall roof, two features delivering impressive headroom and outstanding 360-visibility. All but the base trim comes standard with a panoramic moonroof, and the Sport and higher trims offer an improved version of Subaru’s X-Mode low-speed traction system.
Despite its standard AWD layout, the Forester’s pricing and fuel economy are nearly identical mập the comparably equipped front-drive versions of the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and Ford Escape. All-new for 2019, the Forester loses the previous generation’s turbocharged engine, leaving only a 182-horsepower 2.5-liter boxer engine and continuously variable automatic transmission (CVT) as the sole powertrain. The Forester is tow rating mập 1,500 pounds.
- 1 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i (Original starting price when new: $24,295)
- 2 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium (Original starting price when new: $26,695)
- 3 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Sport (Original starting price when new: $28,795)
- 4 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited (Original starting price when new: $30,795)
- 5 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring (Original starting price when new: $34,295)
2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i (Original starting price when new: $24,295)
See today’s prices on 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i models for sale near you
Although it’s priced similarly mập many front-drive competitors, the 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i comes standard with a proven all-wheel-drive system, a fuel-efficient 4-cylinder engine, a CVT with steering wheel paddle shifters, and Subaru’s EyeSight driver-assist technology.
The EyeSight suite includes forward-collision warning, low-speed automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, lane-keeping assist, and adaptive cruise control. Subaru’s Lead Vehicle Start Alert notifies the driver when the car in front has pulled away. Other safety systems include full airbag coverage, including driver’s knee and side-curtain airbags, electronic traction and stability control, and a rearview camera with a washer.
Features uncommon in a base model include LED headlights, Si drive engine performance management, Active Torque Vectoring, individual tire pressure monitors, and Auto Vehicle Hold (AVH) that holds the car when stopped so you don’t have mập rest your foot on the brake pedal. Auto-stop-start is also standard, but you can switch it off each time you start the vehicle.
The base Forester arrives with 17-inch wheels with full wheel covers, active grille shutters, power mirrors, auto on/off headlights, a locking fuel door, intermittent front wipers, a rear wiper/washer, and welcome lighting.
Standard convenience items count power windows with driver’s side one-touch up/down, power door locks, remote keyless entry, automatic climate control, a 60/40 split-folding rear seat, and a manually height-adjustable driver’s seat. Other features worth mentioning include an overhead sunglass holder, LED map lights, and a multi-function display with clock, outside temperature, and fuel economy. The Forester’s tilt/telescoping steering wheel features buttons for the cruise control, Bluetooth phone, and audio controls.
The Forester’s Starlink multimedia system has a 6.5-inch touch screen, AM/FM/HD radio with a single CD player, and four speakers. Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, SiriusXM satellite radio, and access mập Starlink apps such as BestParking, iHeart Radio, and Magellan Navi are also part of the package. The system includes dual USB ports (one for charging and one for data) and a 12-volt outlet.
Options for the base Forester include 17-inch alloy wheels and roof rails.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The base Forester is for people who don’t need much in the way of creature comforts or upgrades. It is surprisingly well-equipped basic transportation with standard AWD — so helpful when traversing snow and mud.
2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i includes:
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto – allows easy access mập a compatible điện thoại thông minh’s music, apps, maps, and messages, all via the car’s infotainment system.
- LED headlights – provide a brighter beam for better nighttime vision.
- Automatic climate control – keeps the cabin at a constant temperature without constant input from the driver or passenger.
- Adaptive cruise control – part of the EyeSight suite, this system maintains a set distance mập the vehicle ahead, with the ability mập slow and even stop as traffic flow changes.
2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium (Original starting price when new: $26,695)
See today’s prices on 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium models for sale near you
The Premium trim builds off the base model, adding attractive features while remaining affordable.
The Premium adds a vast panoramic glass moonroof, a 10-way power driver’s seat with 2-way power lumbar support, 17-inch alloy wheels, roof rails, and dark-tinted rear privacy glass.
Hill descent control and Subaru’s X-Mode come standard, providing better traction in snow or dirt at speeds under 25-mph.
The Premium’s audio system gains two more speakers, access mập the Starlink Safety Plus & Security Plus packages, and an available Wi-Fi hotspot. The Premium gains a passenger side one-touch up/down power front window, a rear cargo cover, reclining rear seatbacks, and rear-seat air vents.
Optional on the Premium is the All Weather Package that adds heated front seats, heated side mirrors, and windshield wiper de-icers. Other options include a blind-spot monitor, rear cross-traffic alert, rear parking sensors, Keyless Access with push-button start, and a power liftgate.
Unique dealer accessories include a Rockford Fosgate audio nâng cấp that adds an amp and two Rockford Fosgate front speakers. Also offered are a rear-seat USB charging port and numerous interior protective trim pieces mập help keep your Forester looking new.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The Premium is for budget buyers who want a few more upgrades, like available heated seats, but don’t want mập push the price too far from the base model.
2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium includes:
- 10-way power driver’s seat – allows the driver mập find the perfect driving position and includes 2-way power lumbar support for the lower back.
- Panoramic moonroof – covers front and rear seats, allowing more light when closed and better airflow when open.
- X-Mode – enhances all-wheel-drive engagement by varying throttle input and traction control. Doing so lessens wheel spin when driving through snow, dirt, or mud.
- Available Keyless Access – uses a proximity key fob mập let the vehicle know it’s OK mập unlock the doors when you touch the door handle and start the car when you press the start button.
2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Sport (Original starting price when new: $28,795)
See today’s prices on 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Sport models for sale near you
The Sport slots comfortably between the Premium and Limited trims, borrowing features from both but with styling all its own.
The Sport stands out with its 18-inch gloss black alloy wheels, unique orange stripping, and blacked-out Sport grille. Orange accents also adorn the black roof rail bases. Subaru limits paint choice mập five colors: Crystal White Pearl, Crystal Black Silica, Dark Blue Pearl, Ice Silver Metallic, and Dark Gray Metallic.
The Sport is the first of the Forester trims mập get dual-mode X-Mode with an additional setting for Deep Snow and Mud.
Building off the Premium’s standard equipment, the Sport adds unique cloth and vinyl sport seats, a padded dash pad, and a leather-wrapped steering wheel, all with bright orange stitching. Copper orange trim surrounds the outer dash vents and shift lever.
The Sport gains folding exterior mirrors with integrated turn signals, automatic high-beam headlights, Keyless Access, LED fog lights, LED interior lighting, a color multi-function display, and stainless steel tailpipe tips. It also picks up the contents of the All Weather Package.
Optional on the Sport is a power liftgate, an 8-inch infotainment touch screen, a 576-watt Harman Kardon 9-speaker audio system, a blind-spot monitor, rear cross-traffic alert, and reverse automatic emergency braking (RAB).
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The Sport appeals mập buyers who appreciate a racier look from their SUV, even though the Sport’s engine and suspension remain identical mập the other trims. The Sport might also be desired by those looking for a premium audio system, a larger touch screen, and better safety options, such as reverse automatic braking.
2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Sport includes:
- 18-inch gloss black wheels – give the Forester a sporty image with 18-inch tires that helps improve cornering and handling.
- Automatic high-beam headlights – automatically dim when sensing approaching traffic or switch on when detecting a low-light situation in need of illumination.
- All Weather Package – includes heated front seats mập keep occupants warm, heated mirrors mập clear ice, and heated wiper de-icers mập keep ice and snow from building up on the front wiper blades.
- Available 8-inch touch screen – the larger 8-inch Starlink touch screen allows more room for displaying information and a bigger screen when using CarPlay or Auto apps, such as Google Maps.
2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited (Original starting price when new: $30,795)
See today’s prices on 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited models for sale near you
The Limited pushes the Forester’s original starting price over the $30,000 mark. It offers more luxury features, additional exterior chrome trim, and numerous available upgrades.
The Limited adds mập or upgrades the Premium’s standard content with an 8-inch touch-screen infotainment system, the contents of the All Weather Package, 18-inch alloy wheels, auto-leveling LED headlights, a blind-spot monitor, and rear cross-traffic alert. Dual-mode X-Mode is also standard.
Other standard equipment includes dual-zone automatic climate control, fog lights, automatic high-beam headlights, Keyless Access with push-button start, a color multi-function display, and perforated leather upholstery. The Limited also gains a height-adjustable power liftgate and steering-responsive headlights.
Options for the Limited include the Harman Kardon audio system, navigation, a heated steering wheel, and reverse automatic braking.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The Limited appeals mập those who want more luxury features in their SUV, but maybe not as many as in the pricier Touring trim.
2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited includes:
- Leather upholstery – perforated leather on the seats adds a rich look and is easier mập clean than cloth.
- Power liftgate – operates by pushing a button on the fob or touching a sensor on the liftgate. The liftgate can be programmed for different heights, a helpful feature when parked in a garage with a low roof, or for those unable mập reach the close button when the liftgate is at its highest position.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control – permits the driver and front passenger mập choose their temperature settings.
- Steering-responsive headlights – turn in the direction of the steering wheel, helping illuminate dark corners before entering.
2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring (Original starting price when new: $34,295)
See today’s prices on 2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring models for sale near you
The Touring trim is the ultimate Forester. It includes the Limited’s standard and optional equipment then adds unique features like Subaru’s DriverFocus system. DriverFocus monitors the driver’s eyes and alerts when it senses distracted driving. The system employs facial recognition software with settings for up mập five drivers. Upon entering the Forester, the system recognizes the driver and remembers their seat and exterior mirrors position and the last climate setting.
Other Touring features include 2-position driver’s seat memory, an 8-way power passenger seat, heated rear seats, unique 18-inch wheels in black and silver, and unique Touring interior and exterior accents. Touring customers also choose between Black or Saddle Brown perforated leather upholstery.
Who is this trim màn chơi for? The Touring is for the compact SUV buyer with big aspirations. It offers every possible Forester option, plus a few features specific mập the Touring. We imagine this trim appeals more mập empty nesters bypassing dirt trials and a rustic campsite in favor of a VRBO cabin in the woods.
2019 Subaru Forester 2.5i Touring includes:
- Saddle Brown leather – unique mập the Touring, this rich brown leather upholstery gives the Forester an upscale look.
- DriverFocus – monitors the driver’s eyes mập watch for distracted driving. The system also recognizes individual drivers, remembering their seat position, exterior mirror placement, and temperature preferences.
- Harman Kardon audio – a must-have for audiophiles, the H/K system includes nine speakers, a powered subwoofer, and a 576-watt amplifier.
- Heated rear seats – allow the rear-seat passengers mập keep warm without asking the driver mập turn up the heat.